About this Blog:

This is a written account of a series of events that took place last year (2010) and continue even now. As a means of protecting myself, and those involved, my name, and the names of all involved will be changed. I will post as often as I am able to, but as the events continue to influence my life, finding myself at a computer for long enough to detail these events is not easy. For the interests of this account, my name is Allen Bishop, and I lived in Riverside, California.
First time readers should start HERE.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Safe

     Liza Showed me the vault shortly after explaining it to me. The door was about three feet thick, and a little rusty around the edges, but it felt incredibly solid. Inside were a huge number of older computers stacked together, a lot of them seemed like thrift store finds, some of them seemed off-the shelf, and relatively new. Most of them had their casings stripped off, and all of their drives had been replaced with harddrives. It was hard to tell how it all worked together, but Liza seemed very comfortable in there, as she walked me toward the back of the room, and pointed at a stack of computers, "Allen Bishop, this is your data!" She has a cute way about her.
"obviously, it's a lot to go through, and most of it is encrypted, But we've salvaged a lot of it already. There's a huge portion missing from the beginning of the files," she said
I butted in, "that's because of the harddrives that got shot while I was raiding the servers, I'd bet."
"that makes sense, the way it's broken off looks more like hardware failure than normal data corruption. Anyway, mostly it seems like a list. There is a portion at the end that is very heavily encrypted. We've got a couple of guys working on it, but it's very in-depth. Do either of you know anything about whose servers these were? It might help us understand the style of it a little better. Greg never mentioned any of it to me."
Now it was Silas' turn to interject, " Greg never told anybody shit. He was completely closed off, just threw a job on us, and went on his merry way. It's what got him killed, he never really trusted anyone." There was a lot of bitterness in his words, a lot of sadness, too. It caught Liza off guard, but she carried on, "I'm sorry to bring him up then. Anyway, we have a lot of data to sift through, and I'm sure you two could use a rest. We've got some beds upstairs in the dome, and we can get you computers to work on in the morning. We've been looking over these lists so long, it'd be good to get some fresh eyes on them. The names are starting to blur together."
"Names?" I butted in again, Liza could sure as hell talk, but it was graceful, you could see why people would listen.
"Oh, did I not mention? The list is names, thousands of them, not sorted in any way, just names. Some f the names have a date along side of them, some of them don't. We can't make any sense of it. It doesn't seem like a logical pattern at all. Don't worry about it now, there's plenty of time for that. For now, go rest up. We built a shower into the bathroom down here, so go ahead and get comfortable." So we did. We climbed up what must have been at one point, very nice stairs, and made our way to a room in the top of the building. It was round, and had a bunch of bunkbeds lining the sides of it, all the way around. There was a crack in the domed roof that scratched light across one wall, but other than that, it was pitch black, and uncomfortably warm. And it was our new home for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be aware that this blog may be monitored. I have enabled anonymous commenting, which is the best I can do for your protection. I would love to hear from anyone friendly, please.